Venice Bicycle Accident Attorney
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Florida is one of the most dangerous states for bicyclists in the country. Unfortunately, the injuries sustained in these accidents also tend to be severe, especially for cyclists, who could be rendered permanently disabled. For this reason, those who are injured in these types of collisions should be sure to speak with an experienced Venice bicycle accident attorney who can walk them through their options for recovering accident-related compensation.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
While all roadways tend to be more dangerous for cyclists than motorists, Florida’s streets are notorious for being especially perilous, a fact that is due partly to the high incidences of driver error, such as:
- Distracted driving;
- Driving while under the influence;
- Falling asleep at the wheel; and
- Failing to abide by traffic laws.
This type of negligence is extremely dangerous for cyclists, as it can lead to the following types of bicycle-vehicle accidents:
- Rear-end collisions, in which the cyclist is struck from the rear, causing the bicycle to flip over and throwing the cyclist into traffic or onto the vehicle itself;
- Left cross accidents, which occur when a vehicle turns left in front of a cyclist who is traveling in the opposite direction;
- Right hook accidents, in which a driver who is traveling next to a cyclist fails to see him or her before making a right turn;
- Pull-out accidents, which occur when a driver is backing out of a driveway or pulling away from a side street without looking for oncoming cyclist traffic; and
- Dooring accidents, which occur when a motorist opens his or her car door directly in the path of an oncoming cyclist.
Drivers who are careless and whose actions result in these types of accidents can often be held liable for the injured parties’ losses.
The injuries suffered by cyclists in collisions with motorists are almost always severe and include everything from broken bones and lacerations to spinal cord injuries and head trauma. Unfortunately, treating these injuries is both painful and expensive and it is not uncommon for victims to suffer from permanent disability. Injured cyclists who can, however, prove that someone else was responsible for their crash, could be entitled to compensation, either through settlement or litigation, for the following costs:
- Past and future medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of future income;
- Property damage;
- Emotional distress;
- Permanent disability or disfigurement; and
- Pain and suffering.
To ensure that they receive the proper compensation for their losses, injured parties should be sure to keep careful records about their medical bills and wage loss, although it may also be necessary to provide the court with expert opinion or an accident reconstruction model.
Schedule an Initial Consultation with a Venice Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your losses. Please contact one of the experienced Venice bicycle accident lawyers at Hale Law to learn more. We can be reached at our Venice office at 941-735-4529 via online message.