Venice Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Florida’s balmy weather, beaches, and many tourist attractions make it a popular destination for motorcyclists, whether residents or out-of-state visitors. Unfortunately, with so many cars on the road, motorcyclists in Florida also tend to be at a much higher risk of injury in the event of collision. For instance, according to the Department of Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV), there were 9,143 motorcycle accidents in Florida in 2018 alone. Even more troubling, nearly all of these accidents resulted in injuries, with 7,849 motorcyclists seeking medical attention for related injuries.
The injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents tend to be severe, especially for motorcyclists, who, unlike motorists, don’t benefit from the use of seat belts and air bags. Because their injuries are so severe, many motorcycle accident victims exceed the limits of their own insurance policies, leaving them on the hook for additional medical bills. It is, however, possible to hold at-fault drivers and their insurers personally liable for their negligent actions, so if you or a loved one were recently injured in a motorcycle accident and you have questions about your recovery options, you should strongly consider reaching out to an experienced Venice motorcycle accident attorney who can evaluate your case and advise you accordingly.
Motorcycle Accident Causes
Motorcycle accidents, like any type of vehicle collision, can occur in a variety of situations, but most are the result of:
- Drivers making left hand turns and colliding with a motorcyclist who is passing on the left or traveling through an intersection in the other direction;
- Drivers drifting into other lanes or changing lanes without warning;
- Distracted driving, especially at intersections;
- A driver opening his or her door and striking an oncoming motorcyclist; or
- Coming into contact with road defects, such as potholes, cracked asphalt, or uneven road surfaces.
When this type of negligence, whether on the part of a driver or a third party maintenance crew or government agency, contributes to or causes a motorcycle accident, the injured party could seek compensation from those negligent parties directly, but only if their costs exceed the limits of their own policy or they can prove that their injuries were serious. Unfortunately, most motorcyclists who are involved in collisions find themselves in this situation, as the injuries they sustain tend to be serious and even life-threatening.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Because motorcyclists don’t enjoy the protections of air bags and seat belts and are more exposed to the road, the injuries they sustain in collisions tend to be severe and include:
- Compound bone fractures in the limbs;
- Severe lacerations and road rash;
- Facial fractures, including broken jawbones, broken noses, and damage to the teeth;
- Pelvic fractures;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries; and
- Organ damage, rib fractures, and abdominal injuries.
Treating these types of injuries can be prohibitively expensive, making it especially important for motorcyclists who sustain serious collision-related injuries, to speak with an attorney about seeking compensation for their medical bills.
Set Up a Free Consultation with a Venice Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Please call our office at 941-735-4529 today to set up a meeting with one of the experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at Hale Law. We are standing by and eager to help you through each step of your case.