What to Do After a Sarasota Motorcycle Accident
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Florida leads the nation in motorcycle crash fatalities. Riding motorcycles gives one a sense of freedom, but it does not make one invincible. No one is immune to motorcycle accidents. Because motorcycle accidents happen more often than not in our state, below we explain what to do after a Sarasota motorcycle accident.
Do’s and Don’ts After a Motorcycle Accident
In the event you become involved in a motorcycle accident, follow these steps:
- Remain at the scene. You should remain at the scene after the motorcycle accident. This way, when law enforcement and paramedics arrive, you can get the medical attention you need and also answer questions for the accident investigation.
- Exchange information. Gather information about the other driver. Information includes the name, contact information such as phone number, address, insurance company name, the policy number, driver’s license number, license plate, and the make and model of the vehicle.
Additionally, be sure to gather information about any witnesses on the scene and make note of details about the accident. Details include what you were doing before the accident, the weather, and the road conditions. In the event you cannot do this yourself, have a trusted friend or family member do this for you.
- Say yes to medical care. Do not decline medical attention. Allow the paramedics to take your vitals and take you to the emergency room. Just because you do not feel pain at the moment does not mean you will not feel pain later on. It’s best to see a doctor so he or she can document your condition and begin a treatment plan.
- Do not apologize or carry a conversation with the other parties. Do not apologize for the accident if it is not your fault. Doing so is an admission of guilt or fault and could be used against you later. Simply exchange and gather information from the other parties and don’t talk more than necessary.
- Seek advice from a Sarasota motorcycle accident attorney. After a motorcycle accident, it is important to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. You should speak to an attorney whether you have injuries or not.
The attorney will help you determine how to best file an insurance claim for recovery, deal with the insurance adjuster or claim representative on your behalf while you recover, and help you file a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary. Often times, insurance companies are willing to settle the claim for a higher rate of compensation when the person is represented by an attorney.
If you or a loved one becomes injured in a motorcycle accident in Sarasota or Bradenton, Call Your Local Personal Injury Attorneys at Hale Law.
If you or someone you know is involved in a motorcycle accident, contact your Sarasota personal injury attorneys at Hale Law. We will work to get a favorable outcome for your motorcycle accident claim. To schedule a free consultation, call us at 941-735-4529 or contact us online. There’s no fee unless we recover for you.